When a visitor checks in, LobbyConnect can send a few types of notifications. It can notify the person the guest is there to see (aka the host) via SMS, email or chat, or if the visitor is on the Visitor Watchlist (often used for security or VIP purposes), LobbyConnect will notify the owner of the Visitor Watchlist.
About Visitor Arrival Notifications
LobbyConnect has several methods of notifying employees when their visitors arrive. We offer either SMS message notifications or email notifications (both cannot be used simultaneously). We also offer integrations with chat platforms, Slack and HipChat, which can be used in conjunction with either SMS or email notifications. This article will describe the setup process for SMS and email notifications. To learn more about the Slack integration, click here. To learn more about the HipChat integration, click here.
Setting Up SMS or Email Notifications
When a visitor checks in, LobbyConnect displays a list of employees. The visitor chooses the person they’re meeting with from the list. For that employee (the host) to be notified, you must first set up the contact employee function. Here’s how.
Sign in to the Teem admin dashboard and click Manage → Apps & Integrations → LobbyConnect.
Scroll down to the section labeled Check-In Notifications.
Under this section, you will want to make sure Skip Contact Employee is toggled to No.
The Contact Method section is where you will choose between SMS and email. If you select SMS messaging, the employee who has been contacted has the option of messaging back and forth with the visitor (email does not have this option). When messaging back and forth, both parties’ phone numbers are anonymized for privacy (we use Twilio for our SMS option).
Note: Employees are contacted using the info (phone number or email) associated with their email contact card (in Google or Exchange or Office 365). If the phone number is blank, we will send an email as an alternative method of contact, given that the email is provided to us. Similarly, if email is selected and we do not have a valid email, we will then try to send an SMS message.
Once you’ve set the Contact Employee toggle and selected a notification from the Contact Method section, you’re all set. The next time a visitor selects their host when checking in using LobbyConnect, that host will be notified in the manner you’ve designated.
Tip: Occasionally our customers like to have another employee, besides the host, be notified when particular people check in with LobbyConnect. That’s why we have Visitor Watchlist. Keep reading to learn more.
With our Visitor Watchlist feature, the employee that you designate to receive the alert – such as the building's security manager – will get an email whenever anyone who meets certain criteria uses LobbyConnect to check in. In addition to improving security, it allows you to have better overall awareness of who is entering your space.
- First name
- Last name
- Phone number
- Email address
From there, you set a threshold of what percent of your criteria must match the fields the visitor completes during checkin to trigger the Watchlist alert. For example, if you select 50%, then two of the four criteria must match what the visitor fills in on the LobbyConnect at check-in. Note: The contact alerted when people from the Watchlist check in is global, it can’t be set on a per-visitor basis.
Setting up a Watchlist Entry
In this example, we create a Watchlist entry for a news reporter who we know will be visiting for an interview with the Head of IT. Because our company doesn't want a reporter wandering around the office unescorted, someone in security needs to be alerted when she arrives, so she can be escorted to wherever the interview is taking place. Other use cases could include former employees, foreign dignitaries and your friendly mother-in-law.
1. Log in to teem.com, then click Manage → Visitors from the anchor menu on the left-hand side of your screen.
2. In the Visitors section, go to the tab labeled Watchlist.
3. This Watchlist tab will display a list of all the people you'd like to "be on the lookout" for.
4. To add an entry, click the yellow + button in the top right hand corner. This will open a sidebar for entering the details for the person who's going on the Watchlist. All the fields must be filled out. Click Save.
5. The new entry will be displayed in the list now, like so:
6. The next step is to select who within your company should be alerted when any of the people on the Watchlist, such as the news reporter, check in using LobbyConnect. Click the gear icon next to the + Add button. This will pull up a Watchlist Alert Settings menu.
7. In this menu, click the blue + sign next to Alert Contacts. Fill in their name, email address and phone number. Click Add Contact. You can add multiple security contacts – everyone you add will receive the email when an alert is triggered.
8. This sidebar is also where to set the Alert Threshold. This has to do with the percent match between the information entered at the LobbyConnect display by the person who's on the Watchlist, and the information you entered for that person when you added them to the Watchlist. First Name plus Last Name match, or Last Name plus First Name match equals 20%. Phone Number match equals 40%. Email match equals 40%.
8. Now that the above steps are completed, when the reporter (or any contact on the Watchlist) checks in, the security contacts will receive an email like the one below.
We hope this helps! If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us by email or phone at: firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-830-6989.